Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Brenna's First Real Meal

Standing in front of the baby food section at the grocery store, I found myself frustrated by the lack of variety available in those little jars. I just couldn't feed her green beans and sweet potatoes anymore, and the thought of canned meat was enough to make me gag. So, I stopped by the kitchen store to purchase an immersion blender and headed home to make chicken and dumplings... for all of us.

I wilted chopped onions in a bit of olive oil then added celery, carrots, garlic, chicken and low-sodium chicken broth. After this simmered for an hour or so I removed some to blend for Brenna's dinner before adding the dumplings. The immersion blender worked even better than I had anticipated - everything was completely pureed, even the chicken.

We sat down for dinner and the moment of truth. Brenna's reaction was less than favorable (see video below), but after a little doctoring with apples and thinning with formula, she decided it was tolerable. Making food for her was surprisingly simple and I felt good that she was able to eat the same thing we were, just in a bit of a different form. Now the options are endless!

After looking at the video again, maybe I shouldn't tell her that she's having leftovers for lunch tomorrow. :)

Chicken and Dumplings - mine on the left and Brenna's on the right.

No comments: