Tuesday, April 14, 2009

35 Week Checkup

My doctor appointment today (35w4d) was filled with interesting news and reassurances. I've had a bit more difficulty controlling my gestational diabetes lately and was worried about problems that may cause with the baby. The doc looked at my log book and said that I was still doing fine. My blood sugar spikes after indulgent meals (ex: pancakes) weren't of too much concern to her as long as I was exercising right away when I got a high reading to bring it back down. She'll continue to monitor me closely and check my log each week but she feels that what I am doing to manage the gestational diabetes is working fine and she is treating my pregnancy as "normal." (yay!!!)

She had the results from the ultrasound last Tuesday and the report stated that the baby is at the 73rd percentile for size, weighing 6.0 pounds. So, figuring that she gains a half pound each week, today she should weigh 6.5 pounds and at full term she would be between 8 and 9 pounds. But, it doesn't look like I will be carrying this baby to full term. She checked my cervix and I am dilated 1cm. Based on that and the pains/symptoms I have been having she said that I will not make it to 40 weeks. She did give Stephen the ok to travel to Washington DC next week though, so there is nothing urgent at this point. She'll check me again next week and also do another ultrasound.

I didn't gain any weight in the last two weeks, but I know the baby has. I'm mentally prepping myself for an 8lb baby and holding my doc to her words that, because of the cramping, movement, and contractions that I've been having the past couple weeks, I will have a fairly easy labor.

For months, my mom has been telling me that she thinks I'll have the baby on May 6th. Now that we know she'll be early, we'll have to see how close mom's guess is. Any other guesses for date and size/weight?

1 comment:

Minnesota Girl said...

hmmm....

i say:

May 10th (Mother's Day)
7lbs. 10 oz.

you are getting sooooo close now!!!