Monday, January 16, 2012

Foo Finishing

From the moment Brenna found her voice as an infant, she has always been a chatterbox. I remember having long, incoherent conversations with her as a toddler - her speech completely animated, but not containing a drop of English. Now at 2 1/2 years old, her grasp of the English language is impressive, but also contains a few unique Brenna words and phrases. My favorite of these is "foo finishing". This was a phrase that she began using in her early speech development and we continue to hear daily. Our best guess is that it translates to "not through finishing." Here's an example:

Me: Brenna, are you done eating?
Brenna: No. I foo finishing.

This term confuses most people as they think she is saying that she is done. She will correct them - "NO! I foo finishing!!!!"

Marshall is now starting to jabber. I'm excited for this phase and to see if he too will be so creative with his language.

No comments: