Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Therapeutic Ducks

The past few days have been rough. All four of us have been sick for weeks and just can't seem to get over it - even with antibiotics. Marshall is on his third antibiotic for the same ear infection and the rest of us are battling sinus infections and general ickies. All of this boils down to no sleep, too much time stuck in the house, and lots of crabbiness.

On the verge of a mental breakdown, I got the kids ready this morning and headed out to the gym. Usually a good workout and a peaceful shower can clear up my mood. No luck today. This was a strong funk and the family was paying for it.

Late this afternoon, Brenna started talking about bicycles and on a whim I decided to dig out my bike and trailer. I bought a bike trailer to take Brenna biking with me almost two years ago and then found out I was pregnant, so it's been sitting in the garage collecting dust. Today was it's maiden voyage - and there couldn't have been a more perfect day for it!

I loaded both kids into the trailer not knowing what their reaction would be. They loved it! :) We took a quick ride to a nearby pond and watched the ducks. As I sat there on the sidewalk holding Marshall and watching Brenna talk to the ducks I knew this would be a memory I would treasure. A wonderful, calm, happiness came over me. Once again, the cherished moments always seem so simple and unplanned. We just need to take a deep breath and slow down.

No comments: